Sometimes it is best for me to focus on the small things. The pieces of life that make me grateful for each day. The small moments show me that my choices have been good ones. The small things that make me smile are all worth it.
- Marcus, at age 20, crawling inside the boxes on Christmas morning. Don’t babies always play with the packaging more than their gifts?
- Carl wearing Chewbacca onesie pajamas and cuddling his Chewbacca doll.
- Carl looking up from his iPad to say, “I love you Mama!”
- Luke tucking his knees in behind mine and snuggling me close on a cold New England morning.
- Beef stew simmering in the crock pot when I come home from work.
- Walking from the car into a building without thinking about back pain until I sit down.
- Mary calling to ask how my day was.
- Mary calling to check on Luke when he had a fever and wasn’t well enough to visit her.
- Playing the new jeopardy board game with my mom and Carl.
- Marcus coming home from a piano lesson with Papa shouting, “Yo! Papa is NASTY on the piano! He’s so great!!!!”
- Watching the latest Star Wars movie with my boys. I wasn’t worried about Mary melting down in the theatre or being unsafe in the car. The villain Kylo Ren didn’t remind me of losing Marcus. This time Marcus was sitting next to me during the movie. Plus, Kylo Ren got a promotion and he is my favorite character…
- Ripping open box inside of box inside of yet another box to get to the present Marcus gave me on Christmas morning. After about 15 layers I found a tiny snow globe with his adoption day photo in the center. Tears.
Not all the moments are like these. We have had so much to contend with lately. All I can do is hold on to these small things.
What are your small moments?
**Names have been changed to protect the privacy of those involved.